Sunday, February 01, 2009

25 Things About Me

I did this "25 Things About Me" on Facebook, but figured I'd post it on my blog too. (I should add #26, I find myself copying Dionn a lot!)

1. I am an only child, a Gemini and a natural blonde. I fit all the stereotypes.

2. I love my parents more than anything. I hope my future children feel the same way about me.

3. I was meant to be a lawyer. I attended Texas’ only Law Magnet High School. By the time I graduated high school, I had completed my first year of law school, competed in the state championship for mock trial and worked at the police department and the ACLU. I worked at a law firm throughout college and competed nationally on the mock trial team. By my junior year, I realized I wanted nothing to do with law, and opted to major in marketing instead.

4. I graduated early from the UT’s business school. I sometimes feel like I took the easy road, and should have pursued a real major.

5. I have played the piano since third grade, yet I can’t play by ear. That frustrates me.

6. I couldn’t run a mile without stopping until I was 23 years old. The only reason I started running was to prove an ex-boyfriend wrong.

7. I always dreamed that I would live in NYC in a beautiful loft and spend all my free time at the Museum of Modern Art. After visiting the city twice, I realized I wouldn’t make it in the cold.

8. I did Landmark Education in September 2005. Thanks to that program, I now have a great relationship with my mother. (Until then, we couldn’t be together for more than 5 hours without fighting.)

9. Contrary to the Happy Bunny sign in my office, it’s NOT all about me. Sometimes I forget this.

10. I have three childhood best friends (Jenna, Rachel and Annie) and I miss them dearly. Yet I know we will always be in each other’s lives, and I feel blessed for that.

11. I spent 6 weeks in Israel when I was 16. One of my favorite experiences was hiking across the country, from the Sea of Galilee to the Mediterranean Sea.

12. I have a history of strange responses to stress. I was partially bald as I child because I pulled out my hair. In college, I had such bad hives that I couldn’t leave my apartment.

13. I was a vegetarian for 12 years. Recently I realized I didn’t know why anymore, so I ended the streak with a piece of shrimp tempura. YUM!

14. I am rather snobby about what hangs on my walls. I must have original art – prints and posters won’t do.

15. I was a great public speaker (see #3) until I randomly lost my voice while reading in one of my business classes. Since then, public speaking is a fear I have to overcome every week.

16. I am the marketing director at a disaster restoration company, and I think it is one of the best jobs in the world. Sometimes I feel like I should be doing something more prestigious, but at the end of the day, I realize I’m a perfect fit for this job.

17. Previously, I was the public relations director at a wind power company. I felt that was a more prestigious job, but I am far more satisfied now.

18. I have accountability issues in my training groups. I am terrified of being ranked against my training partners, so I do everything possible not to race or train with them. Joining T3 has helped.

19. I think my interest in triathlons is short lived. I’ll be doing something totally different in a few years; however, exercise will always be a big part of my life.

20. I miss my Grandmother dearly. I would do anything to bring her back for a day.

21. I will never forget all the art I saw during a family trip to Paris and Rome in 2000. In addition to being overwhelmed at seeing so many things in person, I was so proud that my parents were impressed by my knowledge of art and architecture.

22. I have lived alone for over one year. It has been one of the best things I have ever done, yet I’m now unsure how I could manage living with someone else again.

23. I have been a founding partner of two companies, Running Banana (which makes custom running shirts) and Grease Monkey Wipes (individually packaged wipes for cyclists). It is impossible to quantify everything I have learned by starting two businesses.

24. I’m getting over the need to have everyone like me. I have plenty of people in my life that I care about, and I will dedicate my energy and love to them.

25. At 28 years old, I feel like life is just starting for me.

No comments: