Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Diving Bell

Tonight I decided to have a date with myself. I had picked up a free pass to see "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" while at Cafe Mundi last week. I didn't know much about the film, nor could I find a viewing companion, so I decided to go it alone.

I'm not one for seeing movies in theaters, but if I do - I can basically guarantee I'll be at Dobie, Arbor or Alamo. For perspective, the last movie I saw was either Wordplay, at Arbor, or For Your Consideration, at Alamo.

Anyway, this was a beautiful film. The gist of the film is that this dynamic man, in the prime of his life, has a stroke and is completely paralyzed except for his left eye. Through amazing courage and determination, he manages to write a novel and create relationships through blinking his eye. The film is beautiful and touching. It really captured the human experience and (cheesy as this sounds) reminded me how wonderful life is.

Needless to say, I was moved. I definitely recommend this one.

2 comments:

I Am Not Hysterical said...

woa! Where did you see it? I didn't think it was playing in Austin yet...

KP said...

Was this guy related to that girl in TLC? Man, she was good. I guess I'll have to check this movie out now.