Monday, January 14, 2008

Today's Horoscope

This one was really true today:

You are happier today if you can be part of a group, rather than having to work by yourself. Paradoxically, you may feel relief when you are finally alone. Acknowledge the conflict between your need to be connected with others and the more subtle benefits you receive from solitude. Don't choose one over the other; allocate time for both.

I've actually been practicing this a lot recently. I certainly have a habit of filling my days with activities. Some have pointed out that perhaps I need more alone time, but I don't really agree. I am often at my best surrounded by people. I love being with my friends and family. I love feeling connected. Even if I'm merely hanging out in the same space, regardless of the fact that I'm immersed with my laptop, I'm just happy being around people. (Good thing I'm in marketing, right?)

However, I certainly value my solitary time too. I've been making an effort to leave some free time in the day so I can enjoy the solitude. I've been making my way through 3 books, seeing movies, working out, etc. alone and I really enjoy it.

It's still nice to know my friends are never far away.

2 comments:

Panther said...

I don't think you need alone time at all. I think you should spend every single waking moment with someone, so that you never have to endure horrifying solitude. "Alone time." Ha! Who would say such a thing?!

md said...

Paradoxically is one of my favorite words.

so...do you want to get together tonight??