Sunday, January 06, 2008

On Your Mark...Get Set... And?

Even though I'm not training for anything at the moment, I am still keeping my mileage logs. All the little cells in my logbook excel file cater perfectly to my obsessive side! What's dangerous now is that I now have all of last year's entries to compare this year's entries to.

I'm obviously trying to maintain some semblance of fitness until I figure out what I'm going to do this year. This week I ran 20, biked 40, swam twice and went to the gym 4 times. Not bad, not bad... I had a fun time riding a very windy out & back on the toll road on New Year's Day with Maggie & Janice. Running easy with Leslie mid-week was awesome. I went to the gym with Lulu, Dionn, and Panther throughout the week. And today I ran, biked & swam... perfect morning! (minus the fact that my ride was shortened due to a really worn out back tire. Sorry, Scot!)

While watching Lulu & Wiley run Bandera yesterday was very impressive, I admit that I had no desire to be racing it, or to be racing in general. At this point, I think I'll look towards some sprint triathlons in the summer and perhaps an olympic or two. Perhaps I'll really shoot for Marble Falls this year. More than anything I'm excited for the long weekend bike rides and camaraderie of last summer.

This year I'm not going to get so crazy about training - I'm going to make it a point to enjoy myself and not obsess over my mileage. The only race on the horizon is the AT&T Half Marathon, which I'm only doing as a favor to my friend Jeff - I'll be trying to keep up with his insanely fast 9 year old!

I'm actually really looking forward to doing whatever I want this year with no pressure at all.

5 comments:

Shorey said...

Sounds like we've got the same mindset. Yay!

Panther said...

Where did you get that picture?

Dionn said...

Hahaha! I love the photo handiwork..that rocks! And YEA for 2008 and for having some fun..and looking good in the process! ;)

Mark said...

Heehee, nice picture:)
Damn, ran 20, rode 40, swam twice, gym four times ... that's a nice "semblance of fitness"!

Kris said...

Wow, I actually have a defined race goal a mere three and a half months away, and I'm not logging that kind of mileage. Thank you for inspiring my lazy butt!