Saturday, March 08, 2008

Back in the Saddle

Training season is here. Last week was not a fluke... apparently riding my bike 100+ miles a week is going to be the norm moving forward. I don't mind at all - mentally I am very excited to be biking so much again. However, physically... Well, that is another story.

First there is my obvious cycling issue: I am not as fast as I used to be. That's being complimentary, for I could just as easily say that I am sl-sl-sl-sl-slow, and on hills - I resemble a hunched over blond turtle struggling to stay upright. This was proven on Mesa yesterday, where I could only do 2 - yes 2 - hill repeats. I thought if I went back down for another one, I would have a very slim chance of making it back up to the top. Not to worry though, I felt oh so much better about myself when I learned that Kris & Dionn did not 1, not 2, but 3 more repeats than me. Damn them!!

Then there are the long rides. I can stay with the group okay. That is for about 40 miles or so, before I get really tired and pray for huge tailwinds and for someone to get a flat (sorry!) Today, the group rode down to Texas State via Buda & Kyle. We actually managed to keep it easy until the turnaround. I've decided that keeping up with Glenda is a recipe for ending up in no man's land. You can be out ahead, but once she drops you, you're stuck to brave the ride on your own until everyone else catches up and of course passes you since you are completely spent. But it's kind of like a drug - for a few minutes, you feel this high as if you actually are a good cyclist. Anyway, the long rides are fun. But afterwards, I am exhausted. Today it's all I can do to clean my bathroom, play with the dogs, and try not to eat everything in site.

Anyway, the other lovely side affects of biking - the very very sexy tans lines. I can't say enough how freaking hot my legs look with tan lines from my bike shorts and socks. Throw in my multiple farmers tans from different jerseys.... I'm telling you, I need my own personal security guard. The men are just falling over themselves.

And finally, there is the process of getting "reacquainted" with my bike seat. If you have ever ridden a bike before, you understand. I'll leave it at that.

Alas, I do love my bike. I love the rides, the scenery, the camaraderie, the never ending cravings for gel blocks...

Yes, it's good to be back in the saddle.

3 comments:

Dionn said...

E - you freakin' rock!

Kris said...

I got really, really tired of chasing you yesterday. Then I'd get ahead of you and feel kind of good about myself, when BAM, there you'd go, right past me again. I don't think you've lost a thing on the bike, and if you have, then it's scary to think how good you're going to be this year!

Scot said...

Wait a minute, here...we have references to "sexy tan lines" without any pictures to corroborate it? Tiss Tiss ; )