Thursday, September 04, 2008

Get'cha Head in the Game

Longhorn is one month away, yet my mind is a at war with itself.

"I am so excited to do a race that I've actually trained for! Only 2 more hard weeks, and I can start tapering. I might have a chance at not blowing up this time!"

vs.

"I am spent. I don't want to go run. I don't want to go to spin. I don't want to wake up at 4:30am. I want my off season now. Why did I sign up for this stupid thing."

I know, it's ugly. But it's true. There you have it. If you've seen me at spin lately, you've probably seen my face - the look of frustration, weariness and resistance. I hate that face, but I'm having trouble shaking it.

Just one more month. Gotta get my head in the game.


(Yes, I am using High School Musical to emphasize my point. It's my blog, and I'll do what I want to!)

7 comments:

Mark said...

It's not just race day that has a mental aspect to it, it's training too. Replace negative thinking with positives; tough patches will pass.

That said, be alert to over-training, make easy workouts easy so that you can do the hard ones hard, get sleep (don't spend all night on facebook:), eat to fuel your training, ...

Lulu said...

OMG E.... HS Musical? Really? I would make fun of you if I wasn't listening to this same song on the way to the gym this AM. Doh!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

That's what that glassy-eyed look was on Tuesday night! I thought it was just a post-Chrissie coma

Amy said...

I so feel ya. Especially since I keep thinking "I've done my big race this year.. why am I getting up at 4:30am on a weekday instead of.. resting?"

But it makes us feel good, even if it's hard to get out there and hard to be out there sometimes. And I'm trying to focus on how much fun it's going to be to cheer for everyone I know out at Longhorn, this year as a participant instead of a volunteer. I'll cheer for you extra loud if I can get it out before you swim/bike/run away lightning fast! :)

a.maria said...

wow. a race you've trained for!!!? properly!!?!

you'll have to tell me what thats like sometime. :p

Dionn said...

and you wonder why I go to Mexico for a week and do absolutely NOTHING.

I hear you girl...we're almost there! Let's DO THIS THING!

Dionn said...

ps. I LOVE HS Musical.