Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Hot Chocolate & My Day

As I write this, I'm drinking hot chocolate. (Okay, Suisse Mocha sugar free decaffeinated coffee drink mix, but whatever.) I love this weather!!!

I skipped core and swimming this morning in favor of sleeping in. I was up at 5:00am, but I just couldn't motivate myself to get dressed, so I went back to sleep... until 8:20. Guess I needed it! After much debate, I made myself go to swim practice at lunch and did a very easy 2500m. Lunch swims with T3 are hard... all the uber-fast people are there and I go from "I'm kicking butt at swimming" to "uh. yeah. reality... check!"

By about 3:00, I was in my typical "I don't want to go to the run workout - I hate running" mode. I was out of work early, so I decided to see if Phil wanted to meet me at the trail to run. I like running with him because he completely intimidates me running, yet he'll go whatever pace I go and inevitably I end up pushing harder, and he will talk nonstop to distract me. I thought we'd do 5 miles, with a few pickups thrown in. There was some type of movie shoot at the area by the Statesman, so our loop was thwarted and we ended up doing the 7 mile loop. We ran the middle section at a very solid clip, averaging about 8:20s I'd guess, and kept up a pretty good pace for the whole run. I felt like I got some good quality in, AND it was nice to catch up with Phil. We ended where T3 was doing the quality run, so I jogged over and joined in. Did stride outs, 4 x 400m repeats (I'm pretty sure the 400's were actually 200's... thanks Yvonne!) and then did a cooldown 800m. 8.5 miles for the evening, and I felt fantastic.

I am such a headcase when it comes to running, but tonight - thanks largely to the cool weather - I felt so much faster. Bring on the cold!!!

Now, back to my hot chocolate. A very, very good day indeed.

2 comments:

a.maria said...

wow. even after sleeping in sounds like you had a pretty hard core day! good job!

Amy said...

I can't remember if I've ever mentioned this to you. But every time I see your blog, I read "Happy-ass Mongoose". And it makes me smile. I think of you as a happy-ass mongoose.