Thursday, June 07, 2007

A Higher Level

This morning I had an incredibly frustrating swim class. It was the first class of the new session (we start over each 8 weeks) and we focused on drills. I was looking forward to the class becuase I was told it would be "an easy swim as part of you taper."

Well, let me tell you - drills are not "swimming easy." Drills are annoying. They highlight how much you suck. They make you feel really bad about your swimming. They call in to question how you kick way too much and can't find a rhythm. They tire you out even when you're swimming much less than you're used to. They essentially want to make you want to become a duathlete.

Okay, I'm being a bit overdramatic. But this is how I felt about our drills this morning. I apparently am completely incompetent at kicking. I just couldn't figure out what Meredith was telling me to do. It was incredibly frustrating. It also made me feel nervous about Sunday, which sucks because swimming is usually the easiest part of a triathlon.

I subscribe to a blog by Christopher Flett - Business Coach of Women. In his latest post, he wrote something that I completely agree with:

The point I’m getting at is if you want to be successful in your professional career, don’t limit yourself to spending time with people at your same level. Stretch a bit and move yourself one position higher than you think you are right now. If your business is suffering, ask yourself, “who am I spending my time with?” My guess is the people around you are also in someway suffering. That’s herd mentality. Champions move into a level higher then themselves, pull them up to that level and once they are comfortable, they move up again. Don’t spend time with people like you…spend time with people who you want to be like. Modeling in business comes from learning from those who are doing.

I'm trying to apply this not only to business, but to my training as well. I'm trying to run and bike with people much faster than me (Glenda, Panther, Kris, etc.) - trying as hard as possible to keep up with them. By working out with people who are at a higher level than me, I have no choice but to pull myself up to their level.

I think there are some new, faster people in our swim class. I just need to bury my frustrations and try hard to keep up with them.

And one day, when the stars are aligned, I might just catch up to Glenda during a race. Oh, that will be the day!

7 comments:

Buzz said...

On what level does "the abyss of ecstasy" guy hang out on?

Laura said...

I had a crappy run this morning if that makes you feel any better. Seriously, I never feel right with anything the week before a race. That just means that you are going to kick butt on Sunday!

Missychel said...

I know you will be awesome, as always, for your race.

And I agree with you..that is why I am training with you. Maybe someday I will catch you so watch out >:)

Steph said...

That is why I don't go to the 1st swim class of a new session. I know all we are going to is drills. Instead I got some well deserved sleep!!:)

holly said...

As a swim coach I'm going to ignore hatred of drills :)

As for your race, you're gonna kick butt!

Holly

Dionn said...

I LOVE the sentiment by Christopher Flett. It makes total sense. At Tri Camp, someone asked Michellie Jones (who has already kicked off an awesome year with a 1st place win at the 2XU Encinitas Tri in May and 2nd place at the Ford Ironman 70.3 in Kona on June 2) how she got faster and she simply said, "I started riding with the big dogs."

meredith said...

That's it...the next 8 weeks will be devoted to having you understand how to make your kick more efficient!!!

I'm in the pool with you, if needbe next class.

Good luck tomorrow!! You will do just great.
meredith (the super mean coach that makes the group do drills to improve their technique!!)