Sunday, June 10, 2007

Metroplex Sprint Triathlon

I'm just going to come out and say it. Today, at the Metroplex Sprint Triathlon in Dallas, I rocked. I've been training my butt off since January 1st, and it payed off. I am ecstatic.

800 meter swim: 14:36 (1:50 pace)
27K bike: 44:12 (22.8mph pace - 1st place in age group!)
5K run: 27:01 (8:40 pace)
Final Time: 1:28:44
Female 25-29: 4th place
Overall Female Place: 22 out of 113 women

The swim was chaos, to say the least. The first couple hundred meters were nothing but getting kicked and knocked around. It was like nothing I'd ever experienced during a triathlon swim. But I found a rhythm and decided to push it a little. I couldn't believe my time when I got out of the water - definitely my fastest sprint time to date.

Looking at the results after the race, I almost fell over when I saw my bike splits - and that I was the fastest female in my age group on the bike by over a minute. I passed every female I saw, and most of the men too. I only was passed by a few guys during the whole thing. ABC - Always Be Closing! The bike is definitely my thing!

I can't believe I pulled out an 8:40 pace 5K either. I hate running in triathlons. I wanted to walk. I felt like I was barely shuffling. But I kept going. Once I realized I could break 1:30, I couldn't give in.

Goal: Break 1:35
Somewhat Secret Goal: Finish before Glenda who started 8 minutes after me.
Super Secret Goal: Break 1:30
Mission Accomplished!

Like I said, I'm ecstatic. Yesterday during my pre-race brick I thought this would be my last race, and I was going to quit training. (It was a bad brick, obviously.) As of today, I can't wait for the next race.

What an awesome weekend. I'm glad I got to share it with Maggie, Glenda & Kris. I'm so glad my parents came out and watched me. I'm so glad that Panther gave me the courage & motivation to really push myself with my training so that I can be so proud of today's results. I'm glad that I've found a sport that provides so much self-confidence and triumph.

14 comments:

MW said...

wow!
that is fantastic!

Can't wait to see the HW!

Slingshot said...

You just kicked butt on the bike. You should be very proud, all the training has really paid off.

Suellen (Scout) Adams said...

Glenda tells me you had a rockin' race! Between the "ouches" from the road rash anyway.

BTW, who do I have to pay to have my blog linked off your (trust me I'll return the favor), you just seem to be comment central and my poor little blog (suellen.typepad.com) is lonely :-)

Suellen

Unknown said...

Way to go!!!

Joey was kind enough to check results while passing out water. We were ecstatic to say the least.

JohnF said...

Awesome!

holly said...

WOW!! You did awesome!

Missychel said...

you are nmy hero!! way to go girl:)

md said...

Erin, you did such a fabulous job! I am so in awe of how strong of an athlete you have become. You are an inspiration!

Laura said...

You rock Erin! It is great to see how all of your hard work and long hours has paid off.

Dionn said...

You KICKED ASS girl!

Way to go, Erin, WAY TO GO!
(clap, clap)

Way to go, Erin, WAY TO GO!
(clap, clap)

Shorey said...

good job!

Jane said...

Awesome, Erin!!

Lulu said...

You kicked ass!! I hope you are not so fast on the bike now that you dont want to race with me on the 24th still.

Panther said...

Book your parties with us

Seriously, I'm very proud of you, Amber. You've come so far over the last 2 years, and I know that you can continue to go further in this sport. You're already doing things that you never thought you could do, and you're only going to get better.