Wednesday, June 13, 2007

A little pain before I go...

I'm midway through my crazy week of travels. I've slept in a different bed every night since Saturday (nice) and I'm leaving for Phoenix tomorrow morning at 6:00am.

So, with all of this traveling, what's a girl to do? Subject herself to some pain, of course!

Rather than take it easy after my race, I decided to try and cram all of my workouts into the first part of the week. I'm not sure that was a good idea, but I tried. On Monday, I went to the gym and ran a progressive pace run. (It was fun, I went to the gym with my dad.) Tuesday I swam in the morning and then ran in Memorial Park in the afternoon. Today, I did tomorrow's quality bike ride. Wilke Hill Repeats.

There really needs to be another name for this workout - something more like "WTF am I doing on this F***ing hill, damnit!!?!" repeats. This was my first time to do Wilke, and I gotta say that this hill is hard. Luckily I convinced my friend Scot to join me for the workout - probably because I didn't tell him what we were doing. Had I gone it alone, I definitely would have wussed out.

So, we left from my house and headed over to Barton Hills. I was feeling okay. Not great, not bad, very nervous. I made it up Wilke the first time I tried, but damn it was tough. Then came attempts 2 & 3. I admit it - I cheated. Halfway through the hill, I pulled off down a little street before hitting it again. I still made it all the way up. Attempt 4 - I was determined to make it all the way up without cheating. Well, I did it, but not without a ton of really loud groaning and yelling. Seriously, I sounded like a weight lifter at the gym. I felt bad for the homeowners who lived in the neighborhood, the people walking their dogs, the parents pushing strollers... they were subjected to some really interesting grunts from me!

Anyway, this workout kicked my butt. I'm supposed to do 6 repeats- I only managed 4. I think I can beat that next time, but I am not looking forward to trying.

So it's rest and relaxation for the next two days. At least from a workout standpoint, since I don't think conferences are at all restful!

I'll be back Saturday!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you do the body builder facial expression you love so much???

Way to go!!!

Unknown said...

Sorry I couldn't meet you. But I am going to J&A tonight to talk about new bikes. So we can ride again soon!