Saturday, January 03, 2009

Love for Dad...

My dad is so freaking cool. I just can't say enough about how awesome he is. (My mother rocks also, but that is for another post. For now... it's dad time...)

I have mentioned this before, but my dad is a true gym rat. I think this is fantastic, considering 4 years ago, he never worked out. Now he goes to the gym nearly every morning and walks, bikes and lifts weights. Today, I accompanied him to his first spin class! I was honestly a bit nervous because even though my dad is in great shape, he still only has the capacity of one lung due to asthma. Besides, spin is hard and I wasn't sure what he'd make of it. But he kicked butt!! I thought we were heading home after class, but no - he wanted to do 2 miles on the treadmill. The man is making me look like a lazy mound of goo! But I couldn't be prouder. :) Looks like 2009 will be the year my dad takes up cycling. So damn cool.

This afternoon, I accompanied my dad on another adventure - to the library. (Yeah, us W's know how to kick it!) He and Mom got new library cards and then explored the DVDs, music and audiobooks. We reserved three movies (Spellbound, Wordplay and Word Wars... yes, there is a theme) and I think he'll really start utilizing the library in the same way I do.

We had so much fun together today... texting each other inside Chico's while my mom shopped, redoing his work website, making inside jokes during dinner with our neighbors, and making fun of each other while looking through old picture albums. It is so cool to say that my parents are my friends. It is also so cool to see what I've inherited from each parent. (My dad's sense of direction, his love for sales and his utter goofiness were all very obvious today.)

Now, in a totally selfish way.... Here is the other reason why Dad is so freaking cool. This former pharmacist, turned professor, turned business owner runs a very cool manufacturer's rep company. This is the view of one of his showrooms, stocked with the most amazing kitchen stuff. Lucky for me, I get to "sample shop" whenever I'm home, taking whatever I please. It's long been a joke that I have the best cooking utensils out there sitting dormant in my cabinets.
But it's time to prove my worthiness. For today, Dad gave me a Viking stand mixer - complete with a full demonstration. This thing is amazing, and I'm so excited to put Jess's teachings to use. I hope to make him proud!
Mom went through the whole kitchen and loaded me up with 3 boxes of pots, pans, wisks, spatulas, containers, etc... So, upon my return to Austin, my kitchen will be fully stocked. I have no excuses not to cook. I am so excited!

I really love my parents. This impromptu trip has been one of my favorite Dallas trips yet. Just what I needed...

5 comments:

Sadie J said...

What a nice post about your Dad! Free good quality kitchen equipment is an awesome family perk. You better be cooking!

Dionn said...

Yay!!! Does that mean I get to sample some grub?? (as long as it doesn't have too many veggies in it...)

etg said...

Yeah for dads! And yeah for new cooking stuff...let the meal exchanges begin:) I got some new cookbooks for Christmas!

Maggie said...

Glad you're having fun with your Dad. And glad you updated your blog...I was just about to call you. I'm missing my Erin!! Haven't heard from you in a while.
Enjoy your visit with the parents. See you soon.

Yvonne said...

Wowww-wy! I dream one day to have a standing mixer, half as good as the one you got. Sounds like culinary heaven. Lucky! Yay for your parents too. I don't even think my parents know how to text :D