Sunday, January 11, 2009

Rapture in Rupture

What a fantastic day. It didn't go according to plan, but what can you do - adapt and endure.

I really should be asleep, but I still feel the adrenaline after watching Drumline Live tonight. I admit, I always wanted to be in the marching band. (I played the violin in orchestra instead. Not exactly the same thing.) The show was fantastic. But what really got me wasn't the show. Instead, I marveled at the fact that two of the obvious audience favorites were parts when the cast brought up an audience member to be part of the show. For me, hearing the audience cheer louder than usual goes to show our innate desire to watch other people succeed. No one wanted the guy to mess up on stage, or to see the little kid fail. At our cores, we want to watch others do well. This made me really happy tonight.

The rest of my day was spent doing things I love. Laundry (yes, I'm sick like that), cooking (with my new Viking stand mixer - freaking awesome!), crafting, listening and best of all - art! I went to see AMOA's exhibits before they close on the 18th, and then I headed over to the Arthouse to see Rapture in Rupture.

While I didn't particularly enjoy the art, some of the pieces did have a crazy effect on me. I stared at one piece for nearly 5 minutes while my heart pounded and my head spun. That's the great thing about art - you don't have to like it. You can experience it however you want and take away from it anything you want. Even though I thought this piece was horrific, the experience was profound.

I thought that the last paragraph of the exhibit's curatorial description was genius. (Not to sound too high-strung, but it describes my life philosophy dead on.)

"Collectively, the vivid and mesmerizing works in Rapture in Rupture encourage us to look more closely and critically at the world in which we live. On one hand, they point to humanity's numerous faults and failures, but on the other, they also reveal pockets of beauty and humor in the most unexpected places. This rupture perhaps speaks of our innate optimism as human beings - that we can learn to adapt and endure, and hopefully, change our ways before a different type of rapture takes place."

Amen.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I liked the Salgado exhibit a lot, some great images - particularly the guys covered in oil, and the general spirit of the people working in such a range of conditions. Makes office work look a whole lot easier in comparision.

The Brazilian gold mines are unreal, like some Dante'ian level of hell.

I loved the idea behind the chairs, perhaps even more than the chairs themselves.