Thursday, January 01, 2009

Lazy in my Loft...

Have I mentioned before that my house has the coolest loft ever? It is the coziest most awesome place to hang out... and now that it is equipped with a TV, I've been been spending more time up there than ever.

Today, I spent all day up there. Did I meet my friends to ride my bike or swim? Nope! Instead, I ate M&M's and Hershey's Kisses and watched movies. Happy Lazy New Year to Me!

To review all the movies I have watched over vacation:
  • The Unbearable Lightness of Being
  • Scenes from a Marriage
  • Word Wars (a documentary on Scrabble)
  • Run Fatboy, Run
  • Drumline
  • 13 Going on 30
  • Then She Found Me
That is a lot of movie action, especially considering the first two were 2-disc sets. I liked every one of these movies. 13 Going on 30 like, totally, made me want to be 13 again. For realz!

My favorite, clocking in at 299 minutes, was Scenes from a Marriage. I watched the tv miniseries version instead of the film. The dialog was just brilliant. Some of my favorite lines: "We're pitiful, self-indulgent cowards that can't connect with reality and are ashamed of ourselves." "We're emotional illiterates. We've been taught about anatomy and farming methods in Africa. We've learned mathematical formulas by heart. But we haven't been taught a thing about our souls. We're tremendously ignorant about what makes people tick." My favorite: "You need to put a lot of effort into not caring." I highly highly HIGHLY recommend watching this film. Absolutely brilliant.

Anyway, it's been fun. I have seen more movies in the past few days than I saw total last year. I gotta say that I love my library - from which I've rented all of these movies. At the bottom of the check out receipt, it tells me how much money I've saved by checking things out at the library versus purchasing... and the total for 2008 read $9,720. (That is a lot of books, movies and audio books, huh?!)

So much for vacation... It's been wonderfully lazy. Tomorrow is going to hit like a brick.

1 comment:

etg said...

Happy New Year, Erin! I love that you spent it exactly like you wanted to...even though I missed you on our bike ride this morning and again at Barton Springs this afternoon. But 2009 and CDA training is going to give us plenty of bonding time...and, for me, that's an added bonus to everything else that I hope will come with IM training. I'm so, so glad to know you...here's to wonderful memories and new chapters of friendship in 2009! It's going to be a fabulous year!