Friday, January 16, 2009

Sunshine

Warning: this post contains reflective and certainly cheesy thoughts. If you are accustomed to rolling your eyes at my goofiness, prepare for an eye workout. :)

Last month, Suzanne sent me an email to tell me that the T3 coaches picked me to be athlete of the month. Something about my enthusiasm and dedication to practices. I emailed her back to ask if it was a joke - I mean, I hadn't shown up to practice in nearly 2 months. Then I realized what happened - Dionn put them up to this. Ah hah! Apparently that was not the case either. So, I emailed Suzanne my "triathlon story" and yesterday she sent out the announcement to the team.

So I feel like a complete dork now. But whatever, I'll practice embracing it.

The story is true... I was never an athlete. Ever. Ballet and cheerleading do not count. I tried to exercise in high school by doing "Sweatin' to the Oldie's" with my friends after school. I exercised in college because my beautiful, athletic roommate Jenna was a fitness instructor and would drag me along. My exercise post-college consisted of 30 minutes in the apartment gym a few times a week. I started running only to prove to an ex-boyfriend that I could run a mile nonstop. Vengeance, in this case, was sweet! I have no athletic skills or raw natural talent, but I've become hooked so I keep doing it.

I have come a long way since hanging out with Richard Simmons in high school. This rocks. But what's the point, really? I care far less about any race results than I do about the people I've encountered along the way. I have also learned so much from all of this training, both about others and about myself. (I love how "reframe" has become my word, too!)

I worked at a law firm through college, and my nickname was "Sunshine." I loved that. If I am remembered for nothing else, I hope I am remembered for making people feel good about themselves.

Ultimately, my point is this: I really appreciate the awesome feedback from my friends and training partners. I am definitely not at the top of any ability rankings for triathlon. However, if I can be a good source of energy, encouragement, etc. for others - then I consider myself a successful athlete. I certainly smile a lot. That's just my personality, but it is definitely nice to know that it means something to others.

4 comments:

md said...

SUNSHINE!!! congrats on T3 athlete of the month!
you have motivated me and kept me on track countless time. I have really really enjoyed our runs lately. thanks for making me a much stronger runner.
I'll always remember crossing the finish line with you at Freescale, I don't know how many years ago! Look at you now!!!

MW said...

awe, where's my dog or cat, i need to hug something warm and cuddly.
: )

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

You're always smiling--unless you have that post-spin glazed look in your eye!! :-) It's been a treat getting to know you over the last few months. This is only the beginning!!

Dionn said...

told you I had nothing to do with it! :P

Erin - you are an amazing woman. DEAL WITH IT!