Monday, January 05, 2009

Nutrition Guides

Part of my job entails either taking people out to lunch every day, or attending some type of luncheon, board meeting, committee meeting, etc... My point is that I eat lunch out every day. (Sometimes breakfast too, to be honest!)

I've taken to trying to find nutrition guides before I head out. Two years ago, Meredith told me to look at Panera's guide, and I realized that I was eating WAY more than I thought. It was a good, sad lesson.

Today I'm hitting Jason's Deli, so I thought I'd see what should fit in my 400-500 calorie range. If you're curious, here's the guide. Just when I think I have a grasp on what good choices are - the nutrition guides shake everything up. For instance, the "plain jane potato" is 2291 calories!! A chicken club wrap? 864 calories. My favorite, the spinach veggie wrap? Still knocks out 359 calories.

I'm not trying to be obsessive by any means... but this is quite the reality check. Looks like I'm sticking to the salad bar. (But skipping my favorite - the gingerbread muffin. That sucker is 220 calories. And to think I've had 3-4 in one sitting before. Gross.)

By the way, if you really want to get depressed, check out the nutrition guides for places like Freebirds and Chipotle. Not even Ironman training can justify must of it!

8 comments:

JohnF said...

Its an eye-opener how so much healthy looking choices are enough for 2 or 3 meals. Some of these are starting to make McDonalds junk food sound like the healthier alternative.

Amy said...

Chipotle is my treat to myself. Burrito bowl with no cheese or sour cream. Love the rice, love the pico. Still not ideal, but.. not as bad as if I let myself just go nuts, certainly.

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

oops...no more Tuesday night Freebirds runs?? Damn...

meredith said...

Jason's Deli was a shocker to me, too! It was really tough to find one great option aside from picking through the salad bar! Way to good on making the best choices possible :) m

Unknown said...

you've got to be careful with those 'calories burned' sorts of calculators too - some of them claimed my long rides were 7000+ calories, which I have my doubts about.

Thomas said...

hey, easy there on the burrito shop slams :) those places form a critical social and nutritional pillar in my life and that of those around me :)

Next thing you'll be saying is that pizza isn't a good thing to eat every meal. What is this world coming to...

Unknown said...

Yeah but the plain jane is HUGE and has everything from butter and sour cream to cheddar on it. Order a half a jane and get chives and a touch of cheddar on the side. Some jason's have yogurt, lowfat plain, in their salad bars and you can use that instead of sour cream. At least Jason's is determined to use no trans fats, no msg and no high fructose corn syrup.

KCWoodhead said...

I looked at the same muffins just the other day as well!!! The cornbread ones have 100 calories in them. I used to eat at least 4 cornbread/gingerbread ones each time I went to Jason's Deli!

I was happy to see the Chicken and Sausage Gumbo isn't half bad, so that may be my new regular there. It was 342 calories for a whole bowl.

And I totally agree about the nutrition guides online. My little chipotle burrito has ~1000 calories! I am a dork and perhaps obsessive and keep it all in a spreadsheet, but oftentimes I have gone to a restaurant's website and decided against my original food choice because it has surpringly been awful for me.