Wednesday, March 14, 2007

It's better not to know...

Sometimes, it's just better not to know, don't you think?

As I mentioned previously, all the big shots at my company are gone. This left me to be the official signer of checks, including payroll. As I went through all of the employee checks today, I specifically avoided looking at the number in the amount part of the check.

I've worked in accounting at 2 other companies before, and I remember feeling extremely bitter at how much some of the employees were making. I felt slighted, undervalued, annoyed, etc...

I love my job. I don't feel slighted, undervalued, or annoyed. I feel that I make exactly what I should be making. So I resisted the obvious urge to see how everyone else sized up. In fact, I used my hand to cover up half the checks so I wouldn't accidentally peak. As I write this, I am not even curious about the numbers. I am still just as happy with my paycheck as I was an hour ago.

4 comments:

MW said...

i still think you need another raise.

Anonymous said...

good willpower! All looking would do would bum you out. The one big thing I've learned from being a manager is salary is pretty often not representative of how good a person does their job, there are too many other factors. So there will always be people getting paid more than they deserve (probably like me!)

MW said...

And people getting less like me and you, Amber.
We both need raises. We're valuable contributors to society, the ecnomony, and face it, with us two around, people just go on about their business.
But with us here, they just go on about their business.
That in itself deserves a raise.

MW said...

that made no sense.
i meant to say:

We're valuable contributors to society, the ecnomony, and face it, without us two around, people would just go on about their business.
But with us here, they just go on about their business.

I don't deserve a raise.