Thursday, March 22, 2007

White Noise

You know that feeling when you are talking to someone, and it is so obvious that they could care less what you are saying and are thinking about something else?

Or, when someone is talking to you and when they're done, there is no way that you could repeat what they said because you weren't paying attention at all?

Wiley, Kris, Panther & I were having this discussion on Sunday, and I learned a new term - "White Noise." Definition: the "sshhhhhh" sound in one's brain that results from complete non-interest of what someone is talking about.

Today, my boss was talking about his landscaping projects: White Noise for Erin. I was telling him about my quality run workout last night: White Noise for Mike. I was talking to a roomful of people at lunch about running: White Noise for the entire room!

So, what are some things that cause White Noise for me?

Generally speaking:
  • investments
  • politics
  • children
  • fashion
  • shopping
  • fishing
  • hunting
  • food (that has meat)
  • sports (unless we're talking about my bracket)
  • cars

I know there are many others... but those are the ones I immediately think of.

And, in the future, if you are experiencing white noise with me - please tell me. I'll happily shut up and we can go about our day.

6 comments:

Kris said...

Piling on to your white noise list...any section of the Internal Revenue Code (occupational hazard for me), golf, technology, the bond market, pretty much any subject of conversation that could come up at a country club, impressionism, "The DaVinci Code", diet fads, celebrities, power tools, lawn care.

P.S. - Have fun at the crawfish boil!

KP said...

After reading your list, I just realized that you've never listened to a thing I've said... ever...

Anonymous said...

what was your post about?? hmmm...I can't remember ;-)

miss you!!

MW said...

Thief

Anonymous said...

who??

MW said...

Amber... she stole my post idea.