Saturday, March 03, 2007

My New Goal = Enjoy it!

What a beautiful day. Today I am reminded what Saturdays are truly supposed to be.

This morning I was supposed to do a 50 mile bike ride in Bastrop. I have been sick the past few days, and I was kind of getting stressed out about having to do the ride. I hadn't paid yet, but I had promised friends I was going. Plus, I need 20 more miles on the bike to reach my goal this week. Not to mention that I am only at 3 of my 20 goal running miles for the week.

But, I succumbed to my bed this morning and stayed in. The fact that I sound like a smoker when I cough, coupled with massive head congestion, convinced me that I didn't need to be riding in the cold and wind. So instead, I made some coffee, went back to bed, and read the book I've been trying to finish for months. After a while, I brought my book downstairs, made breakfast, and played with the dogs.

My morning was wonderful!! Sure, I felt some twangs of guilt for not working out. But today, I got much more satisfaction from finishing 200+ pages of my book and getting to file it back in the bookcase. (And subsequently feeling better because I've been resting.)

In light of a great day, I am reevaluating my training.
  • I have been getting so stressed out about achieving my weekly goal mileage numbers that I'm starting to resent my workouts. And it's only my "base training" phase.
  • I filled in my calendar for the next 4 months and I am travelling almost every week. It is unrealistic that I will be able to do each necessary workout with the schedule I'm up against. I hate feeling conflicted when I travel, resenting my job (that I normally love!) because I can't fit in a bike or a swim when I'm on the road.
  • I am doing miserably at making my swim classes. I can usually only make 1 out of every 5-6 classes, and I can tell how much I've slipped.
  • I'm not as excited as I had hoped about the races I am training for. Maybe it's because I feel my schedule is preparing me for another half ironman when I'm only training for sprint & olympic triathlons. Not sure, but I want to feel excited about racing again.
  • On Friday, Stephanie & I started seeing a personal trainer at the gym. I LOVED the workout, and I want to spend more of my time working on the new program.
  • I have always been prone to burn out. I love triathlons, and I hate the fact that I'm already seeing signs of boredom/angst in my training.
So... I am taking on a new mentality. I'm going to continue to train, but without the heavy obligation I've been feeling. I will still race, and I'm sure I will do just fine. I'm not going to win them, but I am going to have fun.

(In fact, one of my favorite races ever - the Splash Triathlon - was done with little training and no stress. It ended up being one of my best races.)

If I want to sleep in on Saturday, or skip a workout to finish a great book, or take my dogs for a walk instead of a run... I am going to do it. As guilt-free as possible.

My new goal: Enjoy myself!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erin,

I hope you feel better soon. I think you are doing the right thing backing off and just enjoying yourself for a while. Something I tell the people I coach is that if you aren't earning your living from training you darn well better be having fun.

-Joey

Amanda said...

Looks like we're both suffering from a little guilt this week :) Training for triathlons is rewarding and fun and you meet some great people who become really good friends. But you can't let the training make you neglect the other important parts of your life like relationships, work, and other hobbies. I think you're making some really good decisions to take some pressure of your training and enjoy other aspects of your life more. We should all follow your example!

Anonymous said...

Erin,
I felt the same way about training for the 1/2 Iron in Galveston. I decided to do the Olympic instead. I didn't feel prepared for the 1/2 iron and I was getting really anxious when I missed a workout, or shortened a workout. I feel so much better about doing the Olympic. A huge weight has been lifted. Now I have the whole summer to train for the 1/2 Iron (if I want to :)).

Of course the vultures will be waiting for us on the Katy Flatlands. cacah cacah....

Jane said...

1) I'm sorry that I forgot to drop in and see you last week during your ride!

2) I think this is a fabulous goal! Please let me know how I can help you achieve this goal. Sometimes my coaches think that I am behind or a slacker, but I'd rather not take my training too seriously and enjoy it than take it so seriously that I end up hating it. I've done it that way before - much more fun to enjoy what you're doing :-)

- Banana

MW said...

where did my comment go?

I commented yesterday, and it was a great comment!

Panther said...

Gee, considering that I wrote the program that's giving you so much angst and pain, I'm not sure what to tell you.

I usually tell people that if they feel that way, then they're overtrained or trying to do too much.

So, I guess I'll say that. You're trying to do too much.

We can tweak your workout to be more realistic, given your job and lifestyle. The last thing you want is to have your racing and training be a source of painful obligation, rather than a hobby or fun thing you do to relax or outlet for your competitive spirit.

But my main piece of advice is: Take your training with a grain of salt. I spend a hell of a lot less time writing your program than you do implementing it. It won't hurt MY feelings if you blow it off. It's YOUR life and your workout. You have to tell ME what you want, not vice versa.

I'll buy you a marg tomorrow in Houston.

--Panther

Erin said...

Quick update, from the lovely comfort suites in Lake Jackson, Texas.

Once I "LET IT GO" with my training, I've actually fit in all my workouts. While on the road. In a small town in Southeast Houston. Imagine that.

I got a pass to the local gym, and did my 5 mile run yesterday. I got up early this morning and did another workout. I may (or may not) get to run tonight in Memorial Park. But I feel great.

Thanks for the support, guys. I really appreciate it!!!

Mike said...

I can't wait to throw friday afternoon margaritas at the springs into your new training regiment.