Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Swimming Problem

I have a swimming problem. (I'm not talking about the problem that I'm not as fast as I want to be.)

My problem is that when I swim, I somehow swallow way too much air and water. About 10 minutes after I get out of the pool, I feel like I have a giant water balloon in my stomach. You know how you can stick out your stomach really far and look like you're pregnant? Well, that's me. And I can't fix it for at least an hour or so. Sometimes, it hurts so much that I'm doubled over in pain and can't stand straight.

I don't remember this happening to me during a triathlon. Yet. But I have had this feeling about 75% of the times I've swam this year. I dread having it happen during a race. How will I bike? Run? yikes!

And perhaps more importantly, I need to get a hold of this so my coworkers stop thinking that I'm pregnant!

Anyway, I had a great swim this morning. I went to class early to get some extra laps in and ended the workout after 2 miles. Great class. (BTW- I'm so happy I'm in town!) Four hours later, I think I'm finally starting to lose my water balloon stomach!

5 comments:

KP said...

I bet Maria never had that problem after her Happy Laps... maybe you shouldn't have laughed at her video!

Anonymous said...

you're probably swallowing water because you're thinking about the shamu flipper guy and it's making you laugh.

MW said...

I don't swim, so this may sound stupid. If so, cut me some slack jackasses...

Erin, is it ridiculous to cinsider swimming your practice swims with a snorkel?

I mean, not everytime, but you need the conditioning more than the head popping out of the water action. That's pretty easy to figure out as you'll want to breathe for the sake of survival.

Missychel said...

I am sad that I was a loser and missed this mornings workout. :( I just do not bounce back like I use to after a night out of beer drinking.

Jane said...

I have a shirt that I wear sometimes that inevitably leads to someone asking me if I'm pregnant.

No kidding...about a half dozen times now. It's not my favorite shirt, but I like it and I'm not throwing it out, on principle.

I'm sure that your swimming problem will be solved. As for me, I'm going to go cry myself to sleep...