Friday, July 06, 2007

Fun while it lasted...

I was beginning to think I was really doing well on my bike. One of the main reasons I thought this was because I could keep Glenda in sight during our quality bike rides.

Well, not anymore. She got a beautiful new bike and is now flying faster than I thought possible. We took advantage of the break in rain last night to hit the Veloway for 15 miles. After 12 miles, I thought I was going to puke. We did our first lap at a leisurely 16mph pace. The next 3 laps brought our average to 18mph. (Meaning we were riding "easy" at almost 19mph.) The thing that really got me was when I realized that even though I was pushing hard gears in my big chain ring, Glenda was still in her easy gears. ARGH!!

On the one hand, I'm happy for Glenda and her new bike. On the other hand, I feel like I'm back at square one. Perhaps it would be wise not to compare myself to her?! I'm going to keep pushing and trying to stay near her, but it's going to be rough.

On a positive note, this morning I got to run with Holly for the first time in what seems like forever. Rather than wade through the floods on the trail, we opted for the Enfield 4 Loop. I was impressed with our pace - quick but not too hard. It was nice to feel strong while running, since I haven't felt very good about my runs lately. The lightening storms were pretty to look at too.

This about ends my "easy" week as I have a feeling I'm going to be hating tomorrow's bike/run workout. Panther used emoticons when describing the workout, and that can never be a good thing.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Now you know how I felt when you got your new bike :)