Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Pine Top Perkins

Just a quick thought before I hit the road to Houston...

Last night I took some people from Georgia & Missouri who I'd met in Phoenix out for a "night in Austin." Dinner at Guerro's followed by a show at Antone's.

I'd talked to one of these guys for about 5 minutes total before yesterday, and I'd never met the other guy. But I met them in the bar at Guerro's at 7:00 and we instantly hit off. After happy hour and dinner, it was about 9:00. Normally I would have gone home, gotten in bed, prepared for swimming in the morning. But I wanted to practice getting out of my comfort zone, so I joined them at Antone's to see Pine Top Perkins play for his 94th birthday.

I had no idea who Pine Top was. I also had no interest in seeing live music, especially blues. But I went anyway and ended up having a blast. The music was great! The scene was pure Austin, and I loved it. Then Marcia Ball took the stage, and she was fabulous. All in all, it's something I never would have done on my own, but I am so glad that I tried it. I should really try this more often.

8 comments:

Joey said...

I haven't seen Marcia Ball in years. I'm jealous!

Jane said...

Yes! I love thisstory.

My two rules:

- whenever possible, always say "yes" to an invitation for fun

- never be the first to leave

(I'm getting back on the "fun" bandwagon...thanks for the inspiration, Erin!)

Mike said...

I mean this in the nicest way, but...

....duh.

Mike said...

oh yeah, Marcia Ball is scheduled to play Blues on the Green on 8/22. Not sure if that schedule has been affected by rains.

That is about the most ideal setting I can think of to see Ms. Ball. A blanket, beer, and best friends on the grassy lawn of Zilker Park on a sultry summer night in Austin with a nightswim in the Springs on the way home is, in the realm of comfort zones, for me probably akin to the comfort of Erin's bed to her.

I think I miss Austin, a bit.

Dionn said...

I think I'd like to second Jane's rules!

Missychel said...

I LOVE Pine Top. I met him at the Broken Spoke last year. He is a hoot!! Marcia Ball is amazing as well. I wish I would have known about the show.

HOORAY for spontaeous Erin:)

MW said...

I went out on a limb yesterday too!!!

I went to bed at 9:50pm, instead of 9:15! I'm paying for it dearly today!
I know... terribly weak.

brownie said...

78704 - it's not just a zip code, it's a way of life! That's where Pine Top lives. An A-town treasure.