Sunday, July 15, 2007

Katy Flatlands Century Highlights

Highlights of my first century:

1) Riding with soaking wet socks.
2) Watching Glenda take a very hard fall at mile ONE, but get back on her bike and troop through the ride.
3) The menacing look the police officer gave me after our group got lost, and finally reconnected with the route.
4) Getting so much water in my eyes that I thought I'd lost my contacts, and I couldn't see.
5) Cheering for Kris once she emerged from the port-o-let after we waited on her for what seemed like forever. (The rest of us peed in the shrubs.)
6) Endless supplies of bananas at every rest stop. The rest stop with watermelon was my favorite!
7) Peeing (twice) in the bushes. Getting foliage in my bike shorts. And even though I peed twice in the shrubs, upon arriving to a real facility - I couldn't go.
8) Passing everyone we came across. No one passed us.
9) The glomer(s). Apparently I won the contest for attracting the most random cyclists.
10) Almost crying at mile 92, when my group decided to drop the hammer and I couldn't really keep up. I wanted to get off my bike and sob. Then I got over it and caught up.
11) Finishing, of course! Michelle & Carri waiting at the "finish line" to cheer us in.
12) Feeling great after 105 miles. Granted, this was a very flat course, but 100 miles was really not bad. The company of Glenda, Kris, Lulu, Tim & Panther made for a wonderful century.


Lulu & I at mile 83- the longest both of us had ridden.


The group at the start. In the rain. Good times!

9 comments:

MW said...

well done!
This was a great 100 mile ride report! Touching on the highlights, leaving the rest up to imagination!

Lulu said...

Drop the pickle hammer girl!! Drop the pickle!!

Thanks for organizing - I had a blast!!

Slingshot said...

I'm sorry you had a tough time at mile 92 :( You did awesome for the whole ride- probably just needed some pickle juice there at the very end! Thanks for getting everyone out there, it turned out to be a fun ride.

Anonymous said...

Glenda is sore this morning, but otherwise relatively unscathed. We were talking this morning and the consensus is that without you guys she wouldn't have finished after the fall...but she is very glad she did! So thanks to you (and Panther and everyone else) for helping her troop through. Maybe someday (after much more practice) I'll do a century with you guys!

Suellen

Anonymous said...

Huh, you stop to pee ... ?
~Mark

Anonymous said...

Great job yesterday. Also thanks for coming up with the idea to do this in the first place. Carri and I both had a great time the whole weekend. And just remember that at Antonio's chicken is a vegetarian item.

Dionn said...

YOU ROCK! Congrats on an AWESOME achievement!

Unknown said...

Way to got Erin!!!

Kris said...

Thank you so much for organizing all of us and letting me stay with you last night. Sorry about the hair dryer this morning! :)