Sunday, August 17, 2008

15 miles closer...

Rereading my previous post, I will explain why I didn't feel like yesterday was a good workout.
1) My bike was fine. 18+mph for that far is pretty good.
2) The first 1.5 miles of running were fine.
3) I turned around and wanted to die. I thought, "I'm never gonna be able to run a half marathon. I'm never gonna be able to finish Longhorn. Why am I doing this!?"

That's pretty much it. Whaa whaa... Whatever, moving on. ;)

Today I had 13 miles on the schedule, but planned on doing 15 if I could muster it so I'd get my hardest training week over with. The plan was 2 7 mile loops. How this equals 13 miles is beyond me, but whatever. I started with the pack for the first loop, and managed to keep pace somehow, but remembered after 2 miles that I had a long ways ahead of me. So I backed off, found my pace, and before I knew it I was back at the rock. Checked my watch & saw 1:02 - a 8:51 pace! That is an I35 Loop PR for me. :)

I didn't want to stop for water for fear I'd never start up again, so I kept running. Much to my surprise, I looked to my left and there was Phil! I'd seen him earlier on the trail, and he had run back to catch me and finish out my run. (Little did he know I had 8 miles left!) I was thankful that he kept me company, and he wouldn't let me walk unless we were getting water. Maurice ran next to me for a bit too and helped correct my form. I instantly felt better once I made the corrections, which was very cool. I could only keep it up for short intervals, though, because I was getting tired.

Anyway, I finished out the run in about 2:25, so with many many water stops on the 2nd loop it ended up being a 9:40 pace. I'm pleased with that, considering how hard yesterday was. I guess something I'm doing is working!

Totals for my hardest Longhorn training week:
Run: 5.25 hrs (27 miles)
Bike: 7.75 hrs (120 miles)
Swim: 3.75 hrs (5.5 miles)
Core: 1.25 hrs
Total: 18 hrs (154 miles)

By the way, I know I'll be fine at Longhorn. I won't win, or come even close, but I will have fun out there. I am committed to that.

1 comment:

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

You and I need a chat! I can't stress enough that the training you are doing is spectacular and everything will come together for Longhorn. I'm blown away by the workouts you are putting together on the bike and swim. (I haven't run with you yet) Be proud of where you are because it's showing big time!!