Monday, August 18, 2008

Thanks, D.

Thanks for making me go to my run tonight, D. I didn't want to. I tried every possible excuse as to why I could skip the workout. But you wouldn't let me bail. You said I'd thank you later.

I had a great swim this morning, and then a pretty good day at work... until after lunch, when I decided that taking shelter under my desk would be a perfectly plausible way to spend the afternoon. Let's just say the shore looked really far away today and I was having trouble finding any footing.

This is when I got a "mom talk" from D that basically demanded I go to the specialty run. So I went, and low and behold, I started feeling better. Maurice was coaching which was a change, and I really enjoyed the way he mixed things up. Easy warmup, drills around the track, then down to Possum Trot for hill repeats. Half ironman people were to do 4-5 sets of hill repeats, 1 clockwise + 1 counterclockwise = 1 set. Not sure if it was the cooler temperature or what, but I felt fantastic. I was focusing on form and never felt overly tired. 5 sets - finished strong - and honestly I could have kept going. (What a difference a week makes!)

On the way to the hill start, Kevin asked me why I'm so hard on myself. (Clearly he doesn't know me that well! How else can I be?!) I commented that perhaps it's because I surround myself with amazing athletes. Three of my closest friends are winning 2nd at 25+ mile trail runs with little training, running consecutive 100+ mile weeks and constantly placing top 3 age group. And lest I forget my long lost training partner, who is now entirely too fast for me and wins everything. Or what about someone I once thought somewhat equal in ability, but goes and pulls off an amazing ironman like it's nothing!

I decided to draw inspiration from these friends tonight, and forget being hard on myself. For at least tonight's run, it worked. And I feel 100% better than I did a few hours ago.

So, dang it D... You were right. Thanks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel any better my quads and calves are trying to talk me out of spin class this evening. We mustn’t listen to those voices. Good for you for kicking some butt!!

Erin

Amy said...

Aww. You kick my butt in ability. I just try to make up for it with tenacity. But I'm glad that I could help out in some way. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout-out! I'm glad you got out of your head and ended up having a great practice.

You're awesome!

MW said...

I may as well have gone to Humble-dt State Univeristy, because i'm blushing and am humbled (state University) that you consider me an inspiration.
yay!

Dionn said...

awww. E. You are very welcome! I'm glad my mom training is coming in handy!