Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A beautiful day for 75...

The rain passed in time to allow Matt, Ben and me to ride a beautiful 75 miles this morning. We left about 6:45 from Ben's house on the east side and rode out to Decker. Then we did the 56 mile Longhorn bike course.

I'm pretty happy with this course. The worst parts are the ones I know best from Danskin & Couples. Other than some rolling hills and lots of chip seal paving, the remaining 44 miles are pretty nice. My favorite street was Monkey Lane. Seriously, even with some hills, who can't love a street called Monkey Lane?

We averaged 18.2 for the 56 miles, so I think that 18mph is a reasonable goal for Longhorn. We were averaging higher until Matt & I diverted the route at mile 48 to get some water. After stopping, it was very hard to get going again, and of course the hardest part of the course is the end. Nutrition was pretty good, though I STILL need to take in more calories. More than anything, I really just enjoyed the ride and the company today. I also thought about going to the track workout tonight until Logan reassured me that I needed rest. Phew! :)

Oh - I'm pleased that I haven't had to use my car today! I've been more productive working at home than I am when I go to the office. Go figure.

1 comment:

Jane said...

Congrats on the win today! You need to put a pic up of your purty new wheels.