Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Enjoy it while you can.

Tonight, I went to the annual holiday party for my neighborhood. Last year, Phil & I went because we really wanted to see the house of the host couple. This year, we went because we knew there would be lots of free food.

As I stood in line for food, I asked Phil if he thought my new haircut made me look younger, older, or the same. This must have got him thinking about what I may have beeng thinking about at the party. Honestly, I was just curious about my hair. But when we left the party, he said, "you must have felt pretty awkward in there. Being the youngest person at the party and all."

I hadn't really thought about it until we left, but he was right. I did feel awkward. I didn't relate to any of the people there. They were handing out awards for the "best holiday lights" and talking about their children and such. Midway through the party, I got a call saying my buddies were meeting at Aussie's for happy hour. At that point, I basically gobbled down my pieces of fudge and cheesecake and we left. I headed to Aussie's, met my friends (some of whom were the same age as those at the party), and I felt back at home.

This reminds me of something I saw during the marathon relay at mile 16. There were signs that said "At 16, all we want is to be 26. At 26, we wish we were 16. Enjoy it while you can." I certainly don't want to be 16 again, but I am definitely going to enjoy 26 while it lasts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Makes you look older, but not in a bad way... more like in a more mature young lady way.

Lulu said...

I'm glad we could save you from the boring party and get you to a place of beer, boobs and maps of fictional places. D10027633