Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Running in the Moment...

I was planning on joining some friends for a quality run this evening, but I was advised instead to go for a 7 mile easy run. I called a number of people to see if anyone wanted to join me, but after about 30 minutes I was resigned to the fact that I would be going it alone.

I then thought about the beautiful Ipod Shuffles that I bought my marketing staff for christmas. "Seven miles - I need some distraction!!" But, unfortunately my mp3 player is useless since I lost the charger two years ago.

So, now I was going to run alone, and run without tunes.

When I pulled up to the trail, I decided that this was going to be a great run. I would get to think on some things and enjoy the beautiful day. So... I did. I don't think I've ever run the 7 mile loop, without walking, without friends, without distraction. But it was amazing. I got to observe all the people (and dogs) on the trail. I noticed the out of towners who were taking in the views. I noticed the kids with their new Christmas bikes. I noticed the young college couple holding hands looking very much in love. I noticed the elderly ladies taking an afternoon stroll. I heard many interesting conversations. I heard the wind blowing leaves on the trail. I heard the lake lap against the bridge columns. I heard my own heart beating. I heard my breath.

Today I didn't need company, or music, or distraction. What I needed was to be "in the moment" and be present to what a glorious afternoon run can be.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful Amber! I wish I was there with you. My run today was awesome as well :-)

Anonymous said...

this is way too happy!! I'd have to try REALLY REALLY hard to try and duplicate the sunshine this post radiates

Anonymous said...

Happy is good!
I promise
I just reread what i wrote and it can come across crappy.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a great run!

Let's flip it. The best way to salvage a "junk run" for me has been to stop on the Pfluger pedestrian bridge and watch the city run for a while. That spot, on a beautiful day, is full of awesome energy. From that vantage you feel as if you are immersed in a professionally crafted model train set. You have a view of downtown, and can see five bridges, one of which is a trestle. You can follow the train as it traverses down Cesar Chavez on track for Mopac, and still get the tail looking strong as it crosses Town Lake. Kayakers and crew teams paddle effortlessly below and laugh at the cars waiting anxiously in traffic on Lamar, above. The bridge itself seems to be alive, vibrating under the cadence of runners and walkers and bikes humming along it's concrete spine.

Extra cool if the sun and clouds are playing along.

Try it.

Erin said...

This morning was a really odd run. I was the only one in the parking lot under Mopac.

Stephanie and I ran together and it was as if we were the only 2 runners in Austin.

There was no "energy" at all!