Monday, December 25, 2006

"Merry $%^#ing Christmas To You!"

It's fun to be a Jew on Christmas. Free vacation time with nothing to do!?! Well, kinda... if you aren't the type of person who goes stir crazy with the slightest bit of downtime.

Christmas Vacation 2006 has been, well, boring! I suppose that's not a bad thing, but I have been incredibly stir crazy the past few days. Had it not been dreary and raining outside, things might have been better. I really wanted to take my bike out for a ride - but the weather prevented it. So, instead, I stayed in bed almost all day and pigged out on homemade peanut brittle and fudge.

That doesn't sound so bad, right? Taking a break from working out... Playing around online... Watching a movie I've wanted to watch for the past year... Well, it was!! I was going completely stir crazy. What is it about me that I can't stay still for more than a few hours?!

Thankfully, there were some welcome distractions this weekend. A great run on Saturday morning and breakfast with my girlfriends. Getting to catch up on everyone's blogs. Finishing all the crossword puzzles from the past week. Playing Scrabble online against Ostrich. Finally watching RENT, which I've wanted to see since it came out. Going to the gym. Teaching my parents to use Skype so we can video chat with each other. But honestly, by Sunday at 10:30pm - I was going crazy!

Luckily, at that point, Phil & I left to meet up with our friends Terry & Pat, who were taking down Terry's art at the Armadillo Christmas Bizarre. The four of us headed to Katz's Deli for a late dinner. It was so nice to get out of the house and DO SOMETHING. I really enjoyed getting to see them and well, just being out. Even if it was at 12:30am on Christmas morning.

By the way, when the bill came, Terry grabbed it. When we tried to help pay, he griped at us in his biggest smile and said, "Merry $%^#ing Christmas to You!"

Today, I slept in until 10:00am. When I woke up, the sun was shining and it was gorgeous outside (albeit really windy.) I got on my bike trainer for an hour and then and ran 3 miles on the trail. Just beautiful! Then Phil & I had a Christmas lunch at our neighbor's house. My day has been jammed pack, and I am much happier.

Anyway, this Christmas break was a reminder of the fact that I must be constantly entertained and/or busy. Left with just half a day of free time (let alone 2 whole days), I go completely stir crazy. I'm actually looking forward to going back to work tomorrow.

By the way, Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Lulu said...

Dang it - I was hoping you were off tomorrow to go ride with me!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you wasted 2 hours of your life watching RENT. I wish you would have asked me, i would have steered you towards better stuff, like Cars, the Aristocats, or Beauty and the Beast.

Just some of the fun moveis i got to watch.