Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Happy in Houston

Surprise, I'm in Houston again. It's kind of ridiculous how much I enjoy coming here. I saw a ton of clients yesterday, and everyone was very warm and welcoming. (In the past, I have had trouble getting past the front door - yesterday, people were nice and receptive.) When I started my job four & a half year ago, I hated coming to Houston. I avoided it as much as possible. Now, I often look forward to it.

I have a tough job, really. I took some people to lunch. Then I took cupcakes and brownies to people. Then I took another client to happy hour. Today I'm doing a breakfast, a morning coffee break, and another lunch. Then I drive home. During the drive, I will probably talk to Tim most of the time. And catch up with my mom. And listen to 93Q - my favorite Houston radio station. Like I said, it's tough.

I had dinner with Panther last night, and we were contemplating why we both like coming here. Granted, it's hard going when we have to leave Austin, but by the time each of us are here - we really like it. When we go into our respective offices, it's almost as if we are treated like a celebrity. "Hey, Erin! How are you!? How are things? What's new in Austin? Talk to us! You should come here more. Sure you don't want to move here?!" Not a bad feeling to have at work.

And there is the fun of exploring a different city, finding new restaurants, running on different trails, having someone else make the bed, getting the paper delivered to the front door in the morning. There's the fun of trying to make coffee in the tiny little coffee pots in the bathroom. (Yes, I'm a dork, I know it...) Getting a bagel from Einsteins and reading the free USA Today. Seeing business contacts and colleagues who are more like out-of-town friends.

My trips kind of sound like vacation, right? Now if I could find a way to expense a massage, I might have a problem calling my trips to Houston business trips.

But what's the best part of my trips? Knowing I get to come back to Austin. I'm so lucky that Austin = home.

3 comments:

MW said...

snap out of whatever disgusting trance you are in.

please re-read Columso's "get me the ufck out of here" post if you need help.

Erin said...

ah, do you miss me Wiley? :)

now that i know about panther's houston situation, i feel a bit bad. he might not feel the same as he did last night.

Mike said...

haha.

Houston blows.

Okay they have some good restaurants and all that art and museum stuff.

Still blows though.