Friday, May 25, 2007

My Third U.T. Cycling Study - Practice Ride

After a 12 hour fast and 4 hours of sleep, I woke up at 5:30am this morning to make it to Belmont Hall by 6:15 for my third cycling study. I was very pleased to learn that they would not be drawing blood during this round, as it was just the practice ride. (Damn, I could have eaten, I suppose. But I didn't, I played by the rules.) Anyway, I was tired & starving, but still pleased that I would be getting a good ride in.

The study is funded by RedBull. They are testing some new type of energy drink. The goal is to go a certain kJ (output) in one hour at 70% effort based on your VO2max. If I were to pedal 90rpm for 1 hour straight, I would reach the goal. For me, 70% effort is about 140 watts.

First they took my blood pressure (110 over 70, I think), my resting heart rate (41bpm), and weight (133). All good readings. Then, I got on the bike and started pedaling. I knew it was trouble when I was only going at 60 watts on my warmup and having a hard time. I ended up doing an average of 80rpm, and finishing in over an hour ten minutes. Not stellar, but I was taking it somewhat easy. I mean, it was just the practice ride! :) I must say that going at a consistent effort is much harder than riding loops on the Veloway and coasting during some of the fast parts.

Anyway, I was very glad not to have to go for 2, 3 or 4 hours like previous studies. One hour and change was just perfect. A great way to get in some mileage!

No comments: