Friday, May 04, 2007

Thoughts from Houston, Part II (5/4/03)

Technically, these are thoughts from Austin, as I am back in town. But, they are Houston related.

1) I admit it. I like Houston. A lot. Crap.

2) I am very impressed with how well I know Houston, and how well I can navigate around now. I don't even print out maps anymore, which is a big change from this time last year.

3) I have had some great meals this trip, and 2 Jamba Juice smoothies. Yum, yum, yum. I also have a new found love for the mojito. I realize I'm a little late to the trend, but I really like them and am making them my drink of choice.

4) I could do the I10/71 drive in my sleep. During my drive back, I really concentrated on the landmarks along the way, and I thought that I would share. (Because I'm sure you are really curious what my drives are like. Well, everyone except for Tim & Maggie, who I talked to for half of the drive.) For this post, I will list the highlights from just past La Grange to the first stoplight in Bastrop.
  • Longhorn Frog Ranch. (Is this not the strangest name for a ranch?!)
  • Diamond Shamrock. (This place pisses me off. The bathrooms are dirty and they don't have any healthy snacks or flavored water. I find it creepy that people sit and play on the slot machines.)
  • The "Broccoli Tree" in the median. (I've always loved this beautiful tree, and just learned of its nickname. It's usually surrounded by wildflowers - very pretty.)
  • The "I95 to Flatonia" sign. (Where is Flatonia? Why would anyone want to live in a place with that name?)
  • Smithville. The hospital, then 2 Mile Lane, then the Shell station. (Love that Shell station. Their bathroom is very nice, and they are very friendly there. They don't get mad when I stop even if I don't buy anything. Oh, and did you know this is the home of Hope Floats?)
  • KLBJ Road. (I don't get this one. It reminds me of a road that Dudley & Bob should live on.)
  • Chevron & La Cabana restaurant. (Does anyone else find restaurants attached to gas stations a little bit gross?)
  • The Navarro Log Homes. (These are tiny little log cabins on the side of the road. I don't know what their purpose is, but they are pretty cute. Sometimes when I drive by, I want to pull over and take a nap in one.)
  • Toad Hollow - Antique Shop/Art Gallery/RV Park. (Need I say more?!)
  • Rusted Antique Car Place. (100s of old, rotted cars. Kind of depressing.)
  • First stoplight in Bastrop. (I never get a green light here. Never. Ever.)

Oh, another highlight is this billboard for The Colony. It's an old man in a cowboy hat in a swimming pool. Why they think this is good advertising beats me.

So, anyway, another trip to Houston complete! Looking forward to being in Austin for a bit.

6 comments:

Missychel said...

I have never made that friggin' light either!!

Glad you're back:)

MW said...

seeing that you have a brand new camera,
this post is useless without pictures!

JohnF said...

I thought all the Diamond Shamrocks turned into Vallero (spelling?)

I always guessed KLBJ road went to their "official" headquarters. I noticed a lot of bigger Austin radio stations have their official home in a small town east of Austin like Lulling or Giddings. Ever notice a station identify themselves as serving "Lulling-Austin"? Probabbly saves tax money or something.

You left off the humongus and most annoying red-light flasshing message sign between Bastrop and Austin selling choclate covered Pecans.

Anonymous said...

Off topic, but I am trying to get the word out to everyone.

The Team Fantastic X Triathlon is cancelled for tomorrow!!!

The 5 mile dam park is completely closed because of river flooding. You can't even park there. If you are interested in doing an unofficial duathlon, join us at Atkins High School at 9:00. We will not have goody bags at the unofficial duathlon.

We will attempt to reschedule in June.

holly said...

We saw an accident right before that intersection.

I'm glad you're back in Austin:)

Panther said...

You DO know that I'm the only one who calls it the broccoli tree, right?