Sunday, May 27, 2007

Museum of Bad Art (MOBA)

Random Erin Fact: I had three dream jobs when I was a little girl. (I had the same three as a junior high student. And college student. And well, hell I'd like to be any one of them even now.)
  1. Pianist on Broadway, probably for Phantom of the Opera
  2. Shamu Trainer at Seaworld
  3. Curator or Marketing Director at the MOMA (Museum of Modern Art)
Anyway, it's no secret that I like art. I LOVE the MOMA. Of course, there are tons of pieces at the MOMA that I don't get, or that I think are horrible. Today I found a brand new museum that I think everyone will appreciate: MOBA, the Museum of Bad Art.

The museum's purpose statement reads: The Museum Of Bad Art (MOBA) is the world's only museum dedicated to the collection, preservation, exhibition and celebration of bad art in all its forms.

I love it! Check out a few of my favorites from the collection:

Sunday on the Pot With George
Acrylic on canvas by Unknown
22" x 37"
Donated by Jim Schulman
Can the swirling steam melt away the huge weight of George's corporate responsibilities? This pointillist piece is curious for meticulous attention to fine detail, such as the stitching around the edge of the towel, in contrast to the almost careless disregard for the subject's feet.

In the Cat's Mouth
Acrylic on canvas, probably by Pangorda
24"x22"
Acquired by Tom Stankowicz from the Children's Hospital Thrift Store
A comment on issues of power as experienced by those who dwell with feline pets. Is the artist consumed with or consumed by his love for this cat? Does he identify with the personality of the startling animal? Does the similarity between these inseparable cohabitants stop short at the nose? Or is he simply trying to observe a tree-lined avenue through a cat's eyes?

Love Is Being Out On a Limb Together
Oil on board by Unknown
21" x 24.5"
Japanese in its simplicity. American in its text. This valentine in blue hangs in MOBA as a tribute to the poster poems of the seventies.


No comments: